life...or something like it

Sunday, September 03, 2006

The week that seemed like a year

As the first week of "back to school" comes to an end, I can't help but wonder if I'm going to make it through the rest of the year in one piece. My preconceptions that senior year would be the best yet are being tested already.

It didn't take long to fall back into the broadcasting routine. I am taking broadcast journalism which requires a newsroom producing and reporting shift. I will be producing Monday afternoons and reporting on Fridays. My Friday shift went pretty well...I report for Nate Dodd, who has never produced a newscast before. Our stories were mostly based around the kick off of high school football and a looming flood watch. I anchored with him because he was a little nervous, but he did a great job and I think we'll work well in the future :)

There was no messing around with Titan Crew this week...I went to back to back games on Friday night and Saturday morning. The high school game was at Union, and the Titans played at home on Saturday. I am in charge of graphics, and this year Chuck (chief engineer and final authority over all things Titan Crew) bought a brand new computer for the truck. I still have a lot of learning and playing around to do, but I came up with some pretty neat graphics for the games. It was a lot of fun and I really like the new machine. Senior project potential?

This week was also my first broadcasting capstone class. Our assignment for this week is to come up with three short term and long term goals for ourselves. Here goes...

Short Term
1. work hard to get an awesome grade in biology (a.k.a. find a smart lab partner)
It's really important to me to do well in classes outside of my major/minor...especially those that I don't necessarily have much interest in. (cough, biology, cough)
2. try hosting county comments for The County Line for the first time
I'm pretty good with improvising and doing on the spot interviews and I'd like to see if I could actually handle doing something live on TCL.
3. write for a publication on campus.
I really love writing and in all of my 3 years here, I have never written anything for the Holcad, Scrawl, etc. Sometimes it's hard to say no to anything broadcasting and concentrate more specifically on what I might actually want to do someday.

Long Term
1. Possibly attend Graduate School
I've always kept Graduate School in the back of my mind and I'd like to start applying to places in different cities and looking into law or political science.
2. find a place of my own somewhere other than Pennsylvania (ex: San Fransisco, Atlanta, Colorado Springs, Seattle...just a few ideas)
3. travel as much as possible before I even think about settling down!!

Well, that's all for now. Week #2: Game on.

1 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger Mike Wolenski said...

I'm glad to see that you want to try hosting County Comments. I think you'd do a great job with it, you also come up with good interview questions that make your interviews informative yet still entertaining.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home