life...or something like it

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

one project down, 20 million to go...

I finished and submitted my first article (actually one article and one "blurb" on night life...) to WC Magazine. It was a cool experience actually...I realized how much I miss just writing as myself instead of being in a "news" mindset. Don't get me wrong, I love writing for the news, but sometimes it's nice to go back to another style. I was really nervous about turning it in because I didn't have a lot to go on format-wise...and I didn't want to be too much for the alumni :) But...the editor was very happy with it and complimented my professionalism. Overall, I really loved the experience. It would have been a little less stressful if it was the only project I had to worry about, but I got it done in the end, so we're all good.

Now, I can go back to concentrating on broadcasting. I really want to be team serious about newscasts (producing and reporting) because I feel like I'm slacking. It seems like a lot of the people doing news shifts this semester are just not into it...no one seems very motivated to get sound or write good stories. Maybe news isn't your thing, and that's okay, but we still have a professional image to uphold and it makes everyone look bad when you don't try. I think everyone would benefit from some script-critique and feedback on what stories should or should not be run. Hopefully things will get better from here on out.

Finally, for capstone, I have to get cracking on my senior project and alumni interview proposals. Leanne actually suggested Jennifer Moreau, head of media relations at FSN Pittsburgh, for a possible interview. I plan on e-mailing her this week to set up a time. I don't know exactly what I want to do in the broadcasting field yet, but her job seems pretty sweet so I'm excited to meet her. As for the senior project thing, I'm still not really sure. I'd like to somehow turn the interview segment on TCL into a project because it's something I've never done before. We'll see how that goes.

Pem and I have been doing our morning show for a few weeks now, and I really have a good time. I'm mad I didn't hit up doing one sooner!! I don't know about anyone else...but we manage to crack ourselves up pretty well :)

Dr. B really made my day today when he called the station during my radio shift. He told me he had been listening to me on his way home and I sounded really good on air...good energy and excitement. It really made me feel good because I have such a good time doing DJ shifts. They put me in a good mood.

That's pretty much all I've got for this week...keep checking, though!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home