life...or something like it

Sunday, November 12, 2006

10 tell-tale signs you are in fact a broadcasting major...

This week in our capstone class, we talked about lists. Life lists, to-do lists, goal lists...that sort of thing. Also, a lot of people talked about their favorite broadcasting memories so far. And, while I definitely have a lot of those, I decided to list a few ways you know you're a broadcaster. Here goes...
#10 - you go to a movie with friends and find yourself commenting on the "rule of thirds" and whether the director gave too much head room.
#9 - you pass an accident on the road and think "if only I had my mini-disc recorder..."
#8 - you know all of the ABC news reporters by name...and that Charles Gibson never times out right.
#7 - you overhear news/gossip around campus and wonder how many ala carte points you would get for turning it into a story for the web.
#6 - you pass the creek on the way to class or go to a sporting event on campus and keep track in your head of all the great "nat sound" opportunities.
#5 - you constantly try to reduce everything everyone says to you to a 10-second sound bite.
#4 - you expect everyone (including non-broadcasters) to know what you're talking about when you say "package" or "wrap", etc...
#3 - you're still trying to figure out how the most obscure news just "finds" Mr. Weaver...
#2 - you party a little bit on the inside when you put your field tape in the edit bay and you have sound AND non-blue video.
#1 - you eat at least two meals in the newsroom everyday.

Well, this may not be true for everyone...but I've had a few of these happen from time to time :)

Yesterday was officially my last time broadcasting a football game...it hasn't really sunk in yet that I'm a senior I guess. Titan Crew has been a pretty interesting experience - definitely something I will never forget.

This week's agenda:
1. Alumni Interview and Presentation
2. make a new resume
3. help out on packages for TCL
4. probably more to be named later...

Have a good week everyone!! :)

8 Comments:

At 6:34 AM, Blogger Liz Farry said...

oh my gosh those are so great. and so ridiculously true!! :)

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Leanne said...

Too funny, Em! I love those! :D

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

You included: "you overhear news/gossip around campus and wonder how many ala carte points you would get for turning it into a story for the web."

Now your thinking like Kathryn Larson! You've got your news radar on!!!

Enjoyed the embedded humor in your list...endearing!

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I even got my boyfriend saying re-rack...haha. Your list is so funny because it's so true!

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Tabitha said...

Oh Aims that is wonderful! And even though I technically am not a broadcaster anymore (I'm switching to PR because of the better hours for the little man) I STILL do some of those things!

I miss you!

 
At 2:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny!

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Laura K. said...

that cracks me up dude, fun times!

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Jolene said...

I STILL do about half that stuff.
I'm working in an office now and people have internet radio playing and at the top of the hour when the ABC news music comes on, I just start grinning!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home