life...or something like it

Monday, September 25, 2006

aaaaand it's monday again...


Well, it's time for another week to start again. Our capstone assignment this week requires us to blog about a few things.
First, a class outside of broadcasting (what? those exist?) that had an important impact on us. Mine would definitely be American National Government with Dr. Rhoads my junior year. That is the class that inspired me to add my political science minor. I was instantly intrigued with court cases, government policies, and the history of elections and politics. I remember Dr. Rhoads knowing just about every detail of both monumental and obscure political events...and talking about them with a big smile on his face. He opened my eyes to a lot of different perspectives and helped me find a passion for political science.
Now...on to a class within broadcasting that made an impact. I know this is going to sound completely dorky (that's ok, I'm secure) but audio production had a big influence on me. It was my first broadcasting class ever, and I was so nervous. Dr. B. can be a little intimidating at first :) and I so wanted to do well in the class. I remember being one of the first to shoot my hand up when he asked who wanted to try going on the radio right away. I'm not gonna lie, I was probably more nervous than I had ever been, and I needed to keep some bayer close by every time I had to back time and air ABC news. But, I ended up doing pretty well and I still surprise myself with my somewhat coherent technical ability :) Thanks, Dr. B.
Finally, a professor that has impacted my time here. It was sophomore year, and I was filling my religion requirement with "gender and religion". I never expected it to be a class that I would never forget. The professor was Dr. Cushman, and she really had a way of sparking interest and discussion. She probably got sick of me asking questions all the time :) but I found myself wanting to know as much as a could about different religious traditions, a woman's role, and how different beliefs still influence our lives today. It was definitely one of those classes where I was still sitting and listening to her finish a thought while everyone else was putting away their notebooks and waiting to leave class. Like Dr. B., Dr. Cushman is one of those professors that make me want to do well. She challenged me at every turn, and made me genuinely think about things. I went into the class just trying to fill a requirement, and came out with a different and unique perspective of the world and why people do the things they do. I never expected that. These are the kind of professors that are so worth going to school for, and I am so thankful for them.

Things I want to accomplish this week:
-e-mail Alumni for my interview and set up a time and place
-prep for county close-up
-senior project plans
-better radio newscasts

Have a sweet week!

5 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Blogger Liz Farry said...

Aww, Cushman! That was a good class.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Glad to hear Dr. Cushman inspired you to ask questions. Keep asking them from all your instructors.

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey hun...lemme know if you need any help with the County Close-Up!

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Mike Wolenski said...

Nice Picture, Welcome to the 30th Century!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home